Thursday, December 17, 2009

Female guest speakers

Something I noticed when we had two guest speakers in the room at the same time (Gulnar and sadly I cannot remember the guest Professor's name) was that each of them had a completely different opinion on the Hijab as well as how the Quaran should be interpreted. I felt a little sorry for each of them as the seemed to become very flustered and/or uncomfortable with the situation that they had been tossed into. While it was interesting to see the contrasting views not to mention eye opening (one woman thought you should wear the Hijab to appear modest while the other thought it was more of a fashion statement! - or at least that's how she made it seem) I feel that it may not have been the best thing to push either one of them to talk more. Luckily, we seemed to run out of time before anything got too heated. I remember just at the end, the guest professor said "Oh, well I don't know about all of that..." in reference to something about why woman 'should' wear a Hibaj. I liked being able to see the different views and interpretations but I feel it would be a little bit better next time to have each speaker come in separately.

No comments:

Post a Comment