Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The Road to Love

The road to love was a very interesting movie. I found myself looking at the film as being rather stereotypical. I am not saying that I disagree with or dislike the film, I just feel that it could have been done better. For me there was two key problems that made the film less enjoyable for me. These issues involve the speed that the subtitles moved and the way homosexuals were portrayed.
First of all, since the movie is in a language that I do not understand, the subtitles were sometimes blurry, lagged (hard to follow which character was saying what), and sometimes moved to fast for me to do little more than skim them and try to get the general idea. This may seem like a minor idea but in a film like this, the script is critical. At points I found myself just waiting for the scene to end or making an attempt to piece together what I missed as the text raced from one sentence to the next.
However, the issues with the subtitles are very minor when compared to my problems with how the characters were portrayed. I myself have many gay friends so I feel like most of the characters being interviewed simply “fit the mold” for the stereotypical gay man. For example, when the characters were being interviewed, they almost tried to force themselves on their interviewer. This is typical of many guys worst fears, the fact that “all gay guys will hit on any guy that moves” seems to be a commonly known “fact”. I feel that the opposite is true. The majority of gay and lesbian people that I know are sometimes afraid to hit or even talk to a member of the same sex because of the way the react (since they are obviously trying to turn you gay when they talk to you right?).
As I said before, I am not completely knocking the movie because it did have its good points. All I am saying is that for me, the stereotypes sort of overwhelmed or paved over the message the film makers were trying to get across. The stereotypes combined with the fast paced subtitles made this film just ok for me. If you try to look past its few seemingly minor problems, you can find deeper or hidden (even if they are not meant to be hidden) meanings. However, these two problems are a lot bigger than that seem and sometimes hard to look past.

No comments:

Post a Comment