Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Women in Islam Movie

Something about this move kind of rubbed me the wrong way. While I agree that that this movie got a point across, women in many Islamic countries are treated poorly, I feel at times it was a little over the top. Not only was the plot a little strange (although it may actually happen in many cases) and again very over the top, but i feel that the movie was rather repetitive in a "beating a dead horse" way. The same issue was raised at least 6,000 times and nothing really changed, except the girls age. Multiple times she was forbidden to go to college, could not get a divorce, and was stalked yet she got in trouble. While I understand that all of these issues may be real life problems for women in the Middle East, I think the movie would have been much more effective if there was some kind of change in the plot or maybe a little twist rather than just the same thing over and over or what about making the movie 30 minutes shorter? I feel that changing the length of the movie and/or having some sort of surprise or twist would just make the movie even more effective. In the end, I understand why the movie was made and what it was trying to express, i just feel that it needs a TON of editing or maybe even some rewriting so that the viewers do not become bored and a fall asleep or lose interest in the bigger picture. (Sorry this is just getting posted now, i clicked "save now" by mistake instead of "Publish post" and just noticed it)

1 comment:

  1. hmm... I see your point about the movie being repetitive, but from many of the books I have read about women in the ME, Fereshta's story did not seem uncommon at all. And I think that the lack of any change in the story line was just the point... there is never any change for women in this situation. But that's just what I got from it...

    ReplyDelete